Saturday, April 21, 2012

Bridal Hair: Vintage Waves

Oh I do love vintage waves for special occasions…especially weddings!
{I’d wear my hair Rita Hayworth style everyday if my hair could handle it!}
A bride with glossy, vintage waves just screams Hollywood glamour.
No prizes for guessing what hairstyle I went for on my wedding day!
{Top image: Photo by Andrey Yakovlev, Hair Style by Oksana Zavarzina via Behance , Middle image: The Marcel by Hereshons Blow Dry Bar , Bottom image: Photo of me by Funky Photographers my hair was styled by the super talented Sev of Hepburn Collection}
For the past few years, celebrities have really embraced vintage curls and waves on the red carpet. This look works best on mid length to long hair ~ shorter hair is best suited to Marcel waves which lie flat to the head.
{Top image: Megan Fox via People Style Watch Bottom image: Reese Witherspoon via Shopping Lifestyle }
I personally feel that this style is so dramatic that it’s best to keep hair accessories simple ~ no big statement pieces.
Birdcage or Mantilla veils would hide those beautiful, defined curls around the face so I’d go for a flyaway, pouffy veil or longer chapel veil ~ if any.
The image below was in my inspiration folder when I was planning my own wedding ~ I think this model bride looks absolutely stunning in her Louise Selby vintage esque, slim fitting, lace dress with her soft waves styled to perfection by Sev of Hepburn Collection.
Onto the tutorial…
Here’s how to achieve this look at home ~ however, I’d always recommend having a trial with a professional, if you can. You could always share these images with your hair stylist as inspiration.
{Tutorial images via The Beauty Department}
~ Create a defined side parting.
~ Using a large barrel tong or wand, make sure to curl hair inwards towards the face.
~ Then clip in place using flat, setting clips.
~ Leave to cool {set} for 15 minutes then gently brush so the curls ‘blend together’. I realise it seems weird brushing out all your hard work but the curls will spring up and look so much prettier and softer than they do as individual curls.
~ If you want to achieve curls higher up your head, around your forehead, curl smaller sections towards the front. You can also mould the hair into curls and use setting clips to hold the dip of the curl. Then add a light dusting of hair spray and you’re ready to go work those vintage waves! {Pillar box red lipstick mandatory.}
You may recognize the beautiful Lauren Conrad in this tutorial, she is part of the amazing team behind The Beauty Department, my latest obsession. It’s full of fabulous health and beauty tutorials, tips and advice. Check it out for the full tutorial.

 Logo

Hair News Network

No comments:

Post a Comment